April 27 and 28, 2023 | University of Algarve
(deadline for proposals: January 30, 2023)
The II congress of the Rede Nacional de Estudos Culturais invites the Portuguese and the international scientific community to submit papers on Digital Citizenship and Contemporary Cultures.
Mediated by technology, contemporary society offers an unprecedented environment for people to express themselves, to come together and to participate, opening up new opportunities to improve access and inclusion, which underpin the culture of democracy. The digital environment facilitates democratic processes and practices, including the dissemination and mediation of information, and it constitutes an important platform for intercultural dialogue through social networks. However, in addition to these new opportunities, citizens also must face many challenges resulting from the exercise of their rights and duties of social, cultural, economic and political participation.
Digital citizenship thus represents a new dimension related to the knowledge, values, attitudes and skills that citizens need in order to exercise and stand up for their democratic rights and responsibilities, and to promote and protect human rights, democracy and the rule of law.
In this context, different cultures cross, intersect and are fostered in the contemporary world, which we intend to discuss in this congress.
Papers on the following topics are welcomed:
- Cultural resistance
- Cancel culture
- Human rights
- Minority and majority cultures
- Fan culture
- Art, culture and creation processes
- Creation and education processes
- Racism and discrimination
- Migrations, diasporas and xenophobia
- Participatory culture, disinformation and hate speech
- Media and information literacy
- Gender relations
- Surveillance culture and algorithms
- Health, wellness and sustainability
GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNICATION PROPOSALS
- We invite submissions in Portuguese, Spanish and English, authored by teachers, undergraduate, masters and doctoral students, education professionals, and professionals from sectors such as communication, arts and culture.
- Expanded abstracts must have 3,000 to 4,000 characters with spaces (including keywords and references) and must be sent in the following template.
- Expanded abstracts are due on January 30th, 2023.
- The notification of abstract acceptance will be announced by March 6th, 2023.
- The registration payment will be made after the publication of the approved submissions, according to the calendar.
- If a contribution is approved, each co-author must register.
- Full papers must have 20,000 to 25,000 characters with spaces.
- Full papers are due on August 30th, 2023. They will be published with a DOI number in a book with all the texts selected by peer review.
- The notification of paper acceptance will be announced by October 15th, 2023.
SUBMISSION OF THEMATIC PANELS (NEW)
Proposals for thematic panels with up to 4 proponents will be accepted.
An abstract of up to 1,000 characters must be sent together with the panel’s thematic proposal and the communication proposals, including the name, affiliation and email of each of the participants using the following template.
For more information, please go to: https://rnec2023.ciac.pt/en/call-for-papers